harpcolumn

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What’s on your music stand? Winter 2011

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Re: Re: What’s on your music stand? Winter 2011 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What’s on your music stand? Winter 2011

harp guy
Participant

Jershua: It’s hard to say. In terms of technicality, the Jolivet is FAR harder (it’s often considered the most difficult concerto in the flute literature. I’ve been working on it for almost two years now). But stylistically, the Mozart is a beast. It’s never EVER good enough. My practice time fluctuates for flute. Some days it’s only an hour, other days it’s four hours. I used to have a full schedule of ensemble rehearsals and on those days I sometimes played 8-10 hours a day. But I’ve cut back on those things because I have a lot going on as I get ready to graduate, get married, go to grad school, etc.

As for harp, I generally only practice when I want/need to. When I sight read literature (like right now) it will be for a 1/2 hour to an hour a day. Harp is generally one of my ‘fun’ instruments that I sometimes end up making money from. Seeing as how this Faire doesn’t open until June, I’m not worried. When I’m getting ready for something specifically harp related I up my time to about 2-2.5 hours.

Karen: I will (most likely) be playing at the Highland Renaissance Faire in Emminence Kentucky. They had a call for performers on their website and I responded with pictures and recordings. They said that they’re lining up their performers and that I’m on ‘the list.’ They asked how much I charge daily and whether I would be doing a full run or a whole run (full or part season). So I assume I’m performing… If not, I’m familiarizing myself with a lot of great music! As for pay, I don’t know how much or how I will be paid. I know that I’ll get tips at least. From what I’ve seen, performers generally get $20-50 in tips. Multiply that times 3 and combine it with whatever I get paid daily, free admission, concessions and entertainment, it seems like an okay deal to me. I’m doing it more for fun anyway!