Re: Music Therapists

sherry-lenox on #108522

Hi Jennifer- I don’t know about NYS, but in NJ there is presently a post graduate certificate program for a year or so of instruction and a practicum, after which you are permitted to take the licensing exam.

The graduate degree is definitely preferred, but in my own personal situation, the post grad sequence would work because of my other degrees.

Jeffrey, take a look at “music therapy” through the John Cali School of Music, at Montclair. Naturally MSU uses a large number of NYC resources for their music therapy degrees. Montclair presently offers undergrad, graduate, and certification degrees in music therapy, and the program is highly regarded. 🙂

Also, look up the name Tomaino for a truly inspiring look at what can be done in a top-notch music therapy hospital based program.