harpcolumn

Reply To: Whatever happened to Mildred Dilling’s harps?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Whatever happened to Mildred Dilling’s harps? Reply To: Whatever happened to Mildred Dilling’s harps?

Because a national AHS Conference was in Portland, Oregon, years ago, I was able to go, and took with me a 22-string Linrud Minstrel lap harp with standard string spacing, and middle C in the middle of the harp, made by Earl Thompson. This was so that I could keep my fingers limber and also possibly try some of the interesting techniques taught in workshops there. Mr. Thompson started his harp making as a cottage industry, and his wife and daughter sewed the red cloth covers for them. Mr. Thompson told me I was his second best customer. His best one was Mildred Dilling. I had bought (over time, as my “Beginning Harp Class” in night schools grew) 40 of his harps, and for 16 years I was able to start over 600 people from all walks of life on the harp using these small part-fiberglass harps..

As I came in to the registration area after arriving at the conference, Mildred spotted the little red-covered harp I carried, and called across the room: ” Is he still making those?” So that was my first meeting with Miss Dilling.

Recent Replies