Five Tax Tips Every Harpist Should Know


The deadline for filing your 2015 U.S. income tax return is approaching quickly. Now is a good time to review your business expenses and make sure you are taking advantage of every legitimate deduction Uncle Sam allows.

If you teach at a school or play for an orchestra, you will receive a W-2 form to report your wages. If you freelance, or earn income from playing in addition to your W-2 wages, you are probably going to file a Schedule C. An important part of the Schedule C form is the business expenses you can claim to reduce your tax burden. Here is a list of the top five categories of expenses to examine before you file your return.

1 car expenses

Most harpists need a car to move their harp, and many car-related expenses are tax deductible, depending on how much the car is used for business. Maria Novotny, a partner in the accounting firm McDirmit Davis in Orlando, Fla., explains, “You may deduct actual expenses or take the standard mileage deduction, but not both.”

Thanks for visiting Harp Column! This content requires a current subscription.
Log In or Subscribe Now

About Author

Jan Jennings is the music review editor for Harp Column and is the author of The Harpist’s Complete Wedding Guidebook and Effortless Glissing. You can email her at

Leave A Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.